Old 02-17-07, 12:43 PM
walterk46
Electro-Forged

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reverborama
Tonight I took my first ride on my completed Varsity. On the training stand. It's 6 degrees F. outside. As you may recall, the object was to build a light and nimble version of the most indestructable electro-forged steel to come out of Chicago.
I'm glad you're in Minnesota, otherwise we'd have to have a face off. I did about the same thing last March to an electro-forged Suburban. I have since put about 2500 miles on it commuting to downtown Chicago. A few comments on your build, if I may.

If you want to replace the brakes, the Tektro R556's fit the bill for me. They are extra long reach dual-pivots. The front pads are about in the middle of the caliper slots, the rears are adjusted almost to the end of the reach. They have the recessed-nut mounting configuration, so a bit of drilling is necessary. On the other hand, I feel much better blasting through traffic with real stopping power when I need it.

My wheelset looks similar to yours. I bought it from Bikes Direct (must have been pre-Bike Island). I started popping drive side spokes at about 500 miles. After the fourth pop, I replaced all of the drive side spokes and retensioned and trued the wheel No problems since. Front wheel has been trouble-free.

I have the Nitto Randonneur handlebars and an e-bay find alloy stem. Very comfortable.

My Suburban ended up at about 31 lbs with rack, fenders, and pedals. Right now for the winter I have it rigged with cyclocross tires. I'm not loving them. With 28mm slicks, however, its a great ride.