Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Okay, here is a short list.

Grips - Titec Pork rinds. $10, save up to 1/4 pound
Tires - Find out what locals are riding. You can easily save up to 1/2 pound or more just by going to some lighter tires.
Wheels - I just spent $450 on a set of custom made Mike Garcia wheels. Very light and durable (depending on the build you go with). You will probably save at least 1 1/2 pounds over a set of cheap OEM wheels.
Tubes - Stan's no tubes. Debatable of course, but my number one choice.
Carbon bar - There are a lot more people that have "heard" of them breaking than have broken them.
Pedals - What are you running? Eggbeaters are awesome and pretty light for a reasonable price.
Crankset - You can drop a ton of weight there. Just depends on what you want to spend.
Bottom Bracket - Another place you can easily lose 1/4 pound or more for less than $100. I use an American Classic ISIS. Very light and has easily replaceable bearings.
Fork - Depending on what you have you can easily lose a pound there as well.
Cassette - If you have a low range cassette (or a sram) you can drop 1/4 pound by going xtr.

There are a lot of ways to lose weight. Just remember two rules. Being a weight weenie is expensive. It is much cheaper and easier to lose weight off of the body (when possible). Unfortunately if you weigh 150 pounds and are taller than 5' 9" you probably don't have a lot of weight to lose. Just keep in mind though, if you haven't been riding long you shouldn't start going for a light bike just yet. You will gain more speed by riding a couple of times a week right now than you will by lightening up your bike. Also, you will be breaking parts while you are re-learning the ins and outs. It's better to break the cheaper parts and then replace them with the more expensive parts.