Thread: I had to know
View Single Post
Old 02-19-07, 05:43 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had to know

How it'd be to ride my MTB on frozen sleet and snow. Seven miles of my commute are unplowed MUP. Last week we had 2 -3 inches of mostly sleet that froze solid. With the melt and refreeze there is some hard crust on most of it.
Tonight I rode to the nearby state park and tried it out. I was never so happy to have seat post suspension then when bouncing over the crunchy foot prints. When I got some smooth sections it was smooth sailing. Halfway in I rode past the barriers and across the golf course shortcut. It was fast smooth sailing until I slowed down too much and the tires cut in - instant brakes!
Cutting back to the road I passed the boat ramp to the iced over Potomac river then headed home. I passed two groups of deer, 7 and 5 each. The closest watched me carefully from one side of the road as I swung wide and passed on the other.
Bottom line - I might get to work late after a 12 mile commute but I wouldn't be worth much.