Old 02-19-07, 10:39 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skiahh
Just looked at the new Burley site and noticed that their new d'Lite trailers don't appear to have the bar running around the outside of the wheels any longer. I can get a last year's model with the bar at the LBS but wasn't quite ready to buy one yet (the below freezing temps kind of take the push out of an immediate need!).

Does this bar really add to the trailer? ...
It does add extra width to the trailer... is it better to not have it there?

Guesstimate is that it adds about 2-2.5" to the width of the trailer... or for the same overall width, it reduces the inside width by the same. If you compare current data for the Burley Nomad and Flatbed trailers, you'll notice that the interior of the Nomad is 7" narrower than its total width, but that the interior of the Flatbed is a full 10" narrower than its total width.

Providing the structure is well designed, the only real advantage of the outside bar is that it allows the manufacturer to use standard bicycle axles because the wheels are supported on both sides.

So wheels supported only on one side are weaker... in theory. In practise, they are strong enough for the kind of weight carried in a child trailer (up to 100 lb) or even for the 300 lb of a Bikes at Work trailer.

As for hitting elements, I rubbed a wheel once at very low speed (I knew it was a tight spot). Basically, you learn to ride according to your increased width.