View Single Post
Old 02-22-07, 06:39 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1) I consider it rather important. Overuse of cars has reduced the amount of physical activity of our country in general, and I feel that is a significant contributor to the obesity problems here.

2)Sharing roads where practical, yes. Sharing freeways, hell no. I believe there should be reasonably accessible alternate routes in place for slow moving vehicles of some flavor. Having folks ride on 55mph+ freeways is just dangerous....that's a 40mph speed variance if the rider is really moving...the thoughs of a collision with that speed variance gives me the chills.

3) if the law is on their side, and the rider is clearly signaling, no foul. If the driver's can't handle it...then that's their problem. Impatience is a character flaw, not a right.

4) I don't feel that has much to do with it...I feel it more or less has to do with the misconception that successful people need cars, and that riding to work, shop, etc on a bike implies you don't own a car (which is also a often innaccurate and ignorant line of thought).

5) I believe that we should have equal rights to the road, so long as an attentive and law-abiding driver can easily react to our presence without causing risk to either party. Since most roads are designed around the magical 45mph number...which puts the speed variance almost on par with a ped in a residential neighborhood...I think we will not lose that right anytime soon. That is so long as we don't act like tools and alienate the people who would vote on such measures.

6) Honestly, I think that center lane positioning is worse, since at least over here it inspires road rage. I found using the right 1/3rds of the lane does the best for me. That puts me close enoughto center to get the driver's attention, but far enough over to let them easily pass me....best of both worlds. Sharing the road means being fair to each other....and if I'm slower, I might as well make it easier to let them get by. HOWEVER...if I hit a pot I know I will get buzzed at, I WILL take the LEFT 1/3rds of the lane. This puts a quick stop to that.

7) Yes and no both. After all it is a lane on the road, much like carpool lanes....does a carpool lane mean carpooler's aren't allowed on the road?

8) I fele the goal of the lane was to reduce trafic impediment. Since they are sharing the road, yes it does support that, although in a manner I feel is less than ideal. I prefer wide outer lanes over bike lanes.