View Single Post
Old 02-22-07, 07:10 PM
TO11MTM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Portis
I am thinking of converting at least one of my mountain bikes to 9 speed. Basically it is just because i want to upgrade my shifters so I figure now is the time. I currently have always ran 8 speed and have had people tell me i should stick with it since 9 speed is more "finicky" to set up and that the chains don't last as long.

So I am trying to decide whether to look for a set of XT 8 speed shifters on Ebay and carry on with 8 speed or if i should go ahead and go 9 speed. My crankset is already 9 speed, so i'm good there. I'll just need to add the cassette. I'm planning on doing the front der. at the same time if i go 9, just because it really took some rigging (bending) to get it to shift on the new 9 speed crankset anyway.

I guess my concerns are that i ride a lot of miles on my mtbs and chew up chains and cassettes fairly quiickly compared to a lot of people. I don't really wish to increase that, if i can avoid it.
As someone who rides 9 speed.... stick with 8. If I could have gotten a new bike at the component level I wanted in 8 speed I would have gladly done so.

NOS good quality 8 speed shifers aren't that hard to find if you look. That and the new Alivios are pretty good, if pretty ugly.