Old 01-30-04, 09:32 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by franklen
I'm not going to argue the point that reflectors don't work in all instances, and no I didn't read the whole Sheldon Brown article, but I hope noone jumping into this forum will take the article as an excuse not to have reflectors pointing in every angle in addition to active lights. Many reflectors these days are also built with multiple angles so that the viewing area is increased. You can add them to the front back and sides for a very cheap cost. Reflectors do work, I see mailboxes, driveway entrances, etc reflected back numerous times any night I am out driving. Please use multiple strategies for visibility.

I'm afraid you are confusing issues the same way the CPSC and many regulatory agencies do, and I suggest you read the long post above mine and look at this article by John Allen with its pictures: http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/reflectors/index.htm

I will also draw from your experience to highlight a few points. When you drive (cycle?), you see the reflectors on rural driveway posts and mailboxes because they are perpendicular to the roadway and reflect your headlights. But while you see the mailboxes on the right side of the road (assuming you live in a country where we drive on the right, such as Canada or U.S.), you hardly see those on the left side of the road. Well, you see them easily on your high beam, but not on your low beam, even when no traffic is coming towards you, because your low beam is focussed away from the left side of the road. And if by any chance, the driveway post has reflectors on 3 or 4 sides, you won't see them until you turn in the driveway.

Likewise, the rear reflector of a bike is very effective, because that's the one car headlights are pointing into. But the front reflector is only useful for wrong way cyclists, or for cyclists riding at night on a desolate road where one meets a single car with its high beam. As for the side reflectors, unless you cycle sideways, they are not that useful.

Now which rear reflector is the most useful? It depends where and how one rides. On an arterial street or highway, curves have a large radius, traffic is fast and therefore one wants to be seen from as far as possible. So a large reflector that reflects in a single direction is the best. A drawback is that it won't be seen very well when the car driver is very close to you (but your taillight will be).
Conversely, the CPSC 3-face reflector (and especially the larger version) is seen from a closer distance, but the sideface is also seen when a car is almost overtaking you. Also, on winding local roads or for people who cycle while zizzagging in the street (ex.: young children), the 3-face reflector allow visibility even when the bicycle is not in line with the driver.

As for wheel reflectors, they have a limited use, as explained in John Allen's article.

Finally, one aspect to always consider is placement and utility of those reflectors when the bike is actually used. Official setups place the rear reflector on the seat post or seat stay, two places where they are likely to be hidden by stuff carried on the bike.

NOw, what do I have on my bikes?
- one bike has the rear CPSC reflector, 2 others don't (no room).
- 1 red and 2 amber SAE automotive reflectors (2 25" x 4.5") installed on the rear mudflap (i.e. low and behind the load, no matter what I carry, and behind road spray)
- 2-3 rear taillights arranged to make a large surface (visible from further away);
- 1 generator-driven headlight that has a built-in reflector;
- wheel reflectors (not because I believe in them, but because they are required)

Regards,