Old 02-27-07, 10:55 PM
charles vail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bone

Originally Posted by adrien
ok, wait...when you say bone, do you mean what the chamois rests against in bike shorts, once boys moved out of the way? If so, that is how i measured...
The actual pelvis bones that you sit on as evidenced by the two dents seen on a Brooks leather saddle. They kind of come together right behind the "boys" and you know you've hit bone when you pull up on the book/tape for the measurment.

In my case I am 5'11" and have a 87cm measurement in bare feet, floor to pubic bone. This gives me a 76.5-77cm saddle height (saddle level) to middle of bottom bracket axle. My frame size on a straight top tubed lugged frame and measuring from the bottom bracket axle to the top of the top tube is 59cm. This gives me adequate standover room in shoes when using 32mm wide tires that are I think 690mm in diameter. This allows me to get the bars 2cm higher than a frame that "should" fit me but doesn't allow a comfortable bar position. In your case it sounds like your frame is about right although you may need a longer stem perhaps a 12cm as I think 10cm is standard on a 58cm frame these days. I'm not a cross racer so I am not familiar with how high your bars need to be set or how stretched out you need to be.
In your case, the lower bar height probably feels perfect as it sounds like you have a long reach and a long torso. Time will tell! Happy riding!

Last edited by charles vail; 02-27-07 at 11:02 PM.