View Single Post
Old 02-28-07, 06:50 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
wow guys, lots of information.

i've always, or at least when i've been exercising, had problems breathing well in cold, dry air. when i started running several yrs ago, the same problem existed but the doctor gave me advair, which didn't do anything to help. i pretty much had to quite running during march/april and some of may due to pollen and the problems i had trying to breathe.

i'm still somewhat congested today from yesterdays ride. but, today, i'm gonna try riding w/something covering my mouth to help warm the air up. the first 5min of my ride is slightly downhill, but then hits some hills. i had trouble yesterday on these hills cuz i didn't feel like i could get enough air in, like sucking through a straw. so, we'll see how today goes.

i did have a lung function test several yrs ago, but i was well above normal because i hadn't exercised before hand. also have a peak flow meter, but it also shows normal values (or it did). maybe i should bring that with me sometime just to see the effects this really has on me.

i don't have a spacer with mine. how do you go about getting one? how does it help? i hope to only have to use this during the colder months, as i haven't really noticed any problems when it's warmer. maybe as i get fitter, there will be less incidents of EIA.

food allergies?? how would i go about determining whether something i'm eating is part of the problem? i eat pretty well as it is. hardly any red meat, mostly chicken or lean pork, some eggs, whole wheat bread, not much dairy (tho i should eat more), veggies (just about any kind) & fruit.

thanks for the responses. it helps to know others are having or have had the same problems and that i'm not alone. my riding partner tells me i just need to get acclimated to the cold....no, i can't freakin' breathe and acclimation has nothing to do with it. people don't really know or understand how we are feeling unless they too experience it.