canuckbiker

Bikes: Tommaso Capri (upgraded), Fuji Ace, and Schwinn Racer AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clutchy
good luck with the recovery!

if you don't mind me asking, what caused the failure?
Well, I was born with only one functioning kidney, which I didn't find out about until I was diagnosed with ESRD. Apparently my right kidney never developed properly, and I lived 25 years with only one kidney and never even knew it. Until recently, I've appeared to be so healthy, there was never any reason for a doctor to examine my kidneys. Anyway, my left kidney finally started to fail, and I started to get really sick. I knew something was seriously wrong when I got so tired near the end of a 20 km ride that I had to pull over and stop. I was nearly collapsed over the handlebars from exhaustion. I finally went to the emergency room and I was given a dialysis access (a catheter that's surgically implanted in my neck), and I was given a blood transfusion and three consecutive days of emergency dialysis to clean my blood of toxins. Only now, a bit over a month later, I am starting to feel something that's a bit like "normal", except for the dialysis of course, and the fact that I still get very tired with only a little bit of physical activity. I've come a long way, considering there were a couple times in the hospital when I was so close to dying, that only a God-given miracle brought me back. Well, that's the basic story of how my life changed forever. Take care.

Adam Wilmot a.k.a canuckbiker