Old 03-03-07, 04:42 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Tange Frame Run Over by Truck, Need Advice

Some would say I should post this on the mechanics forum, but I want to post here to obtain input from those who value old steel frames. I just recieved my first trade-in. A fellow purchased an older Ross Gran Tour from me and traded in his early to mid 80s Shogun. Why, because his daughter laid the bike down on the driveway and he backed up his pick-up over the Shogun. Under most circumstances, I'd run away from a bike that had been run over by a truck, but the damage may not be terminal and the frame is Tange 900 double butted tubing with chro-moly forks and stays. Not high end, but not bad either. So I am posting pictures and asking for your comments.
The damage to the frame consists of two dents in the top tube and a bent stay. I can't get the dents out but will they cause any problems? With regard to the left stay, it is bent but there are no kinks in the tubing. I had to look three times at it to be sure it wasn't made that way, a nice inward sloping bend. Will that create a problem while riding? I've inspected the rest of the frame and could not find any other damage other than a few surface rusts spots. Looking at the over-all condition, this bike would need a complete rebuild possibly including a new rear wheel or at least a rim along with a new freewheel, cables, housing, chain etc. I would use it to replace my 87 Raleigh Record that has a 502 frame (non-butted) as my beater, night rider.
Should I:
A: Strip off the brakes, bars and crank and throw the frame in the trash (but save that fine rusted chain
B: Try to fix the bent stay, then ride it.
C: Don't worry about the damage, it won't affect riding just don't sell to someone else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shogun.jpg (20.6 KB, 59 views)
Shogun (1).jpg (54.5 KB, 77 views)
Shogun Frame.jpg (39.6 KB, 75 views)
Shogun (3).jpg (41.6 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by roccobike; 03-03-07 at 04:48 PM.