View Single Post
Old 03-04-07, 01:09 PM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fholt
I grew up in Iowa, and I was likely one of the few 12 year olds to have ever been cited for that "nighttime riding without a headlight". Me and my buds used to ride down to the Hy-Vee (grocery) to get some pop (*iowa speak for soda) and we rode without lights, there were streetlights all the way, and usually we wouldn't even see a car except at the store itself. One night we saw a cop hanging out at the store and IIRC he even warned us about not riding without a light. We took the sidewalk back home until we got to the block that didn't have one, and guess who was waiting there - officer Bedford of the Coralville PD. He had a citation for me - and it wasn't the good kind. Had to go to court (got that morning off school though) and if I remember correctly, pay a $15 fine. I always kinda felt like he cheated a bit by waiting up by the nursing home, knowing there was no sidewalk there.

I thought I was the only Iowa City/Coralville guy transplanted to the triangle area!

Bedford is the Chief of Police in Coralville now I think I went to high school with one of his kids as well...