Old 03-05-07, 09:17 PM
oilfreeandhappy

Bikes: Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Thought it Would Admirable

I'm starting to feel old. I'm on business in St. Louis, MO, and I decided to purchase my first folding bike, so I could do without a rental car. I've been riding it around, taking it on the Metrolink and on the buses. I'm in a training class with a lot of younger folks. Although I'm not advertising it, a few of them saw me on the bicycle, and have made comments like, "They'd never ride on St. Louis roads". Actually, I've had no problems, and find it exhiliarating. Of the 41 other students, only 3 didn't rent a personal car, and that's because they're from China, and don't have a driver's license.

Also, there's a bowl of ice, with beverages, including bottled water at the training seminars. I dislike the idea of discarding plastic bottle after plastic bottle, so I go to the drinking fountain, and fill my glass with water, while everyone else goes for the plastic. Am I living in the past? Isn't conservation a good thing? They have fine mass transit here. The tap water quality in St. Louis is very good. I especially feel old, when I start thinking --- "This younger generation...".