Thread: Hub generator
View Single Post
Old 03-06-07, 12:19 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by STEEKER
I have been snooping around your blog , Did you hook up the lights yet? and what's it like randonneuring on a recumbent ? , I have been looking through the Ontario randonneur site alot and want to start doing that one day cause I love riding at night under the stars and moon.
I'm still waiting on a rim to arrive at my LBS before I get to try out the 1203D.

I haven't done any brevets yet [first one is a 200K April 14th]. The snow is on its way out here in Canada so I should be riding my Volae again in a week or so. I have had it out for 100K rides and it is very comfortable and a pleasure to ride. My uphill speeds are quite a bit slower than on my DF bikes, but I haven't had much time to develop my recumbent muscles before winter hit. I expect to improve my climbing quite a lot, but I don't think I will be as fast as on DF bike. However, I simply wouldn't be able to ride 200K+ on any of my DF bikes without suffering quite a lot. If I was able to complete a 300K on my DF bike I would probably not be as fast as on my recumbent simply because I would have to stop more often and give my body a break. OTOH most randonnuers ride DF bikes.

The Ont Randos must start up around the same time as Alberta - early April. Definitely get out and ride the early season brevets. You'll have fun... Drop me a line a let me know how it goes.