Old 03-06-07, 12:29 PM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
OK, let's go with that idea. The average fluorescent light tube uses 40W. The typical fluorescent light fixture has three tubes, for a total of 120W. Go into a fitness center and count up the fixtures. I'll bet you find there are many more fixtures than exercise cycles. Being generous, we can assume that one exercise cycle will power one fixture when it's in operation. But the reality is that the average user almost certainly generates less than 120W when using the machine. But, let's not quibble. So, the 20-30 cyclists will be able to power 20-30 fixtures.

The would be no reason to waste any of the energy with a storage system. The facility will surely have much more than 20-30 light fixtures so there's not going to be any extra energy. In addition, if there were, the air conditioning system, fans, computers, music, water heaters, etc. will be happy to use it.

Agreed that using current flourescent tube technology is not the ideal way to go. I beleive the flourescents yeild between 50 and 60 lumens per watt. Current LED technology is closing in on that and expected to reach 80 lm/watt soon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode. Given the directional nature of LED lighting, one would need fewer lumens as well.

I still maintain that the lighting requirements could be met. It may not look exactly the same as it does now with a massive flooding from flourescent lights, but it could be made more than adequate by using higher efficiency technologies.