Thread: Bike Florida
View Single Post
Old 02-08-04, 09:34 AM
supadupamikey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You were right in my neighborhood... my girl and I moved here to Fort Myers last April... and we'll be moving to Cape Coral in 9-12 months whenever our house is built...

I cant comment on the cycling experience down here... or anywhere for that matter as I'm new to this... but, the normal automobile traffic SUCKS! It's all the snowbirds though... There's like no traffic at all during the summer months... like May-October... and then starting in October it starts getting worse and worse until it hits the worst peak right after Christmas and New Years... but, once it gets nice and hot (90s and 100% humidity) all them snowbirds will be heading back up north and our roads wont be congested anymore... yay!

Originally Posted by tom cotter
Just got back from a week in southwest Florida. Ft Myers, Cape Coral, Naples and Sanibel. Beautiful places and beautiful weather but TRAFFIC! WHEW!!! I know it's high season but! Outside of Sanibel Island, which looks to be totally bicycle friendly, there didn't seem to be many places to ride without putting yourself at serious risk. The combo of high traffic and roads without shoulders doesn't make biking in this area of Florida look too inviting. I live in the most densely populated state in the country, New Jersey, but can safely ride almost anywhere in the state. How about Florida, is it as bad as it looks? Any areas of Florida where you can ride without undue risk? Any other areas as bike friendly as Sanibel Island?