Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BacktoBasics
Greetings,

I am about to go car-free and am looking into purchasing a geared-bike (I have a fixie, but with my long-distance running, want to save my legs a bit on hard training days). Being a "voluntary simplicity" kind of person, I am trying to decide if I should buy a cheapo used bike or a new entry-level bike. I am looking at either a cheap, old road bike, or a new entry-level hybrid/cyclocross bike that would give me some more versatility on the roads (dodging potholes, hopping curbs, etc.). Can anyone provide any recommendations on which way I should go? I am torn between the frugality and recycled nature of a used bike and the fact that I will be riding the bike alot, and may want to invest a bit more.

Thanks in advance,
BacktoBasics
In 7 years of car free and many years of off and on car-lite before that I've gone both ways. Platy's advice about expense depends on where you'll be leaving the bike. I've had complete junkers stolen. But also you don't want to buy a bike so junky that parts wear out weekly or monthly. A used bike in good condition is a good value. Since I rarely leave my bikes in high crime areas I don't mind having a good high quality transportational bike. On the other hand, I'm looking around for a junker to park at train stations. On balance I'd rather have a factory built transport bike than something I have to cobble together out of disparate parts. The bike shops don't seem to carry the high quality add ons that come pre-installed on a European style transport bike. For example it would be hard to find a frame mounted lock or coat protectors that will merge seemlessly with the "Planet Bike" mud guards the local shops carry.