View Single Post
Old 03-08-07, 10:50 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
My opinion, true right hooks are due to drivers both underestimating the speed of cyclists and not noticing them until it's too late, the latter occurring on higher speed roads where the motorist would have to slow down much more quickly than expected to turn behind the cyclist. Instead they attempt to stay the course, get by as quickly as possible, and make their right turn before the cyclist catches up.

The right swooping turn (driver changes lanes to the left to go around cyclist only to make a right turn shortly thereafter) has to do with "the Notion," that cyclists should never be in front of motorists. My recent favorite of a similar situation is the guy (with his kids in the car) honking a for an extended period of time as we approach a red light with him behind me in the right lane. As we near the light, he starts to move left. Then apparently he remembers that he's turning right so he puts on signal and moves into the right turn lane which I left open for him to use by being in the right thru lane. Mo-ron.