Old 03-09-07, 12:53 PM
oberon

Bikes: Novara Bonanza 06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First tour O'mine

I'm planning a tour for the end of July of the Natchez Trace, from Nashville TN to Natchez MS, then further to Zachary LA (plus ~80 miles). This will be my first tour. Planning on getting a Novara Randonee or Safari for the trip. I am riding with one person. I am estimating around 10 days to get there, plus however long I decide to stay in Zachary, then another 10 days back. For those who have done the Natchez, does this time frame sound accurate?

Would it be a good idea to camp on the side of the Natchez, or stay in hotels? I'm planning on half and half. If you've done the trace, and stayed in hotels, about how much cost does this add to the trip?

Unfortunately my parents (I'm 19) think it won't be very safe (whether or not this is true I have no idea) and would be more accepting of the idea if one of them were to drive with me, and carry some of the gear, or, if I were to ride with a large group.

I really don't like the first idea because I want this to be a self supported tour. I'm very individualistic, and would like to do it myself, but not blind to the benefits.

The second idea is much more appealing because more people means more (charged) cell phones, more help, and more supplies. I was wondering if anyone else is planning or wanting to do this trip? That being said, it will be august, In Mississippi. Very unpleasant if you're not moving.

I would really like this trip to work, and, the more people that want to do it, the more likely it is to happen. So, the more the merrier.