View Single Post
Old 03-12-07, 08:14 AM
JackJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charles vail
Don't forget, if you live in hilly terrain, are over 30 years old, carry a little "extra baggage", and/or have not been riding for a long time, your knees will protest if you force them to grind up hills in too high a gear ratio. All this talk about fixed gear riding is fine for short flat rides or if you are exceptionally fit and young.
I'm joining this a little late, but I live in a very hilly rural area, am in my mid forties, carry some extra baggage, and ride 100 - 150 miles/week fixed, often on a Swift. Yes, by all means, listen to your knees, but the key to keeping them healthy is fit and fitness. I certainly wouldn't recommend fixed for someone just getting into riding in San Francisco, but I do want to dispel the notions that fixed is bad for your knees, uncomfortable on long rides, unsuitable for hilly terrain, and unwise for those with greying hair. It's just not so.

Fixed is not everyone's cup of tea, but I advocate it for those interested because it has re-energized my interest in cycling, especially during the winter where I appreciate a change of pace.

Jack