Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by cgallagh
Great riding on the silver santana. We watched you guys buzz by us twice. First time you were pulling the train, and the next time you guys were in the middle. I asked why the tandem was in the middle since all I had seen all day was tandems with 1/2 bikes sucking wheel.
Twice I must have really been focused at the time. In the pace line you observed, the lead position was constantly rotating. The line was fun and was formed initially by us pulling a group into the wind. After a couple of miles, I called back and asked if there were any "domestiques" available to come forward. One of the guys came foward and took the lead. He was very strong and picked up the pace a little and we got a rest. We overtook another strong rider who joined the three of us in rotation. Soon we added a fourth. We were averaging 22 - 24 mph with this group rotating position. Up to the formation of this paceline, my heart rate was averaging 145. After we formed the pace line, I went to 150 to 165 which is too fast for me for 100 miles (with each rotation, the speed increased slightly - not necessarily good). After a few miles, we let those guys go to allow the HRs to return to sustainable levels.