View Single Post
Old 02-14-04, 02:51 AM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been dreaming about such a trip. I've wanted to do the 4 corners, and I've read some on S. America. There's a "race" in Africa from Cairo to Johanesburg, that would be fun, it's supported, but doing it unsupported would be fun too. My final bike trip I'd like to attempt would be to the base camp at either K2 or Everest. I have always wanted to go to Nepal and Tibet. I think it could be fun to do it on a bike.
The summer I went to bike France I met a group of young guys crossing the country. I had just gotten back and they were looking for tools to tweak a BOB trailer at the LBS. They were a motley crew, and I wanted to join them so badly that I went home and started calculating what it would take me to catch up with them, a day at the most, but I had no idea which way they went.
I understand they actually made the trip too.
I would love to go do this, but I just don't know about the finances. I'm sure if you love rice and beans that's one way to go, along with sleeping in a bivie, or under a tarp. You want to go light. For ideas on that check out the ultra light hiker/backpackers sights, they have a whole lot of info on traveling light, and light means quick, quick means distance, and time to see things, when you aren't slogging around 60 lbs of gear. I went to France with way too much gear, and I thought I was going light.