Old 03-13-07, 04:07 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mammut
I'm at 220 myself and didnt have much luck with the Bontrager Race wheelset that came with my Lemond. They came out of true on me every 200 miles or so. I switched over to an open pro set from colorado cyclist and haven been happier. No truing needed yet with about 500 miles on them...
I think it more depends on who trues the wheel, then who makes the wheel. If the wheels are taken out of the box, a tire gets slapped on, and it gets put on the bike, then it will come out of true, fairly quickly. Most wheels are machine made these days, and the machines are not that good at truing and tensioning. Fact is, the machine is more about quantity then quality.

If a wheel builder or a wrench who is good at it, takes the wheel out of the box, and hand tensions and trues the wheel, it will hold true much longer. It's possible that the place that sold you the Open Pros does a better job of truing and tensioning then the Lemond dealer. Even with the same dealer, sometimes it's a different guy who does it, and it may be luck more then anything else.