Old 03-15-07, 05:04 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bruce Rosar
Perhaps in Newspeak, but not in English. A dictionary definition of 'bicycle' begins with the words: a vehicle...
A definition for vehicle is a means of carrying or transporting something <planes, trains, and other vehicles>

In other words, cyclists are allowed to use some of the Interstate system already.

Some of us already have; some others just refuse to believe it.
Are you agreeing or arguing with me?

I do mingle with the cars and trucks and fossil fueled vehicles - and think it is one way to ride... (95% of my riding occurs on roads travelled by a mix of 'vehicles'.... but I also mix it up with the joggers and runners and walkers on the "path".

There are obvious differences between cars and trucks - where a mighty acceleration of lots of weight is available at the push of a pedal and a bicycle where accelration (and top speed) is directly related to the user... and one can (unscientifically) conclude that on a bike someone that accelerates and travels quickly is relatively experienced and comfortably handling his / her machine - where in a car the skills of a driver are not directly related to how fast and far they can travel - or the damage they can do when they lose control.

If we are to break everything down to a dictionary I'd prefer to use one pre-dating autos.

Language is relative and contextual - and I did stress in my post that I was refering to the differences between fossil fueled vehicles on the road and bikes. I do not think you can argue that there are significant differences - no matter what the definition is.