Old 03-16-07, 12:49 AM
hulagun

Bikes: '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust
...It was the only bike not locked up, darnit. Whoever it was left me a brakeless, spray-painted 24" Roadmaster in exchange. I guess the motion-sensor light over the back door was like a shining beacon to some passerby. Oops.
Years ago I was standing in the checkout line at an AM-PM store to prepay for my gas (pre ATM era). It was a hot day and a bicyclist rode up and came into the store, I'd guess to buy a cold drink. He brought his nice MTB in with him and parked it about 5 feet inside the door. As he turned and walked towards me a second guy rode up on a crappy older bike, parked it outside, strode in, and started to turn and leave with the first bike. The first guy hadn't made it 6 paces yet from his parked cycle. Luckily he was headed straight for me so I caught his eye and alerted him. He spun around and yelled at the thief, who just put the bike back, smiled, quickly backed out the door without a word, and pedaled off. FWIW it was a muscular young white guy who didnt look stereotypically suspicious at all... until he grabbed the bike.

Thieves who steal wheels (of any sort) are often bold, fast and wily. Hopefully there is a special place in hell for them all.