Old 03-18-07, 02:43 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And - Vancouver, WA recently got a bronze (yes, KnhoJ!). Ekdog, Vancouver, WA is just across the river from Portland, and really is part of our greater metropolitian area, as is Beaverton. I think Oregon as a state is pretty darn progressive when it comes to promoting bicycle transportation. Every single Oregon member of the House and Senate belongs to their respective Bicycle Caucus, as does the House Rep. for Vancouver, WA.

Ekdog, if you look at US cities, you will notice that many of the ones that have won awards for being progressive in this area are "college towns". Corvallis, Eugene, Ashland, and Davis, CA are all smaller cities with a university located in them. Portland does have some colleges and universities, but they are not the "dominant feature" of our economy. This is also true for Beaverton, Bend and Vancouver, WA. I would never dismiss the great work college/university towns have done to promote bicycle transportation, but I do believe it is really amazing and exciting when a larger city or metro area does a lot to promote bicycling and begins to see a significant increase in the number of trips made by bicycle.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."