Ghostman
Struggling at the Back

Bikes: Bianchi Virata, Gunnar Crosshairs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
well, my first race was terrible (loose cleat, fell off the back in less than 5 miles) but i was saved from being too embarassed by another guy at the race.

the guy was probably around 40, riding an... interesting 1980's era schwinn complete with flat pedals. he was wearing a mountain bike helmet, a t shirt and khaki shorts. the course had a .75 mile neutral start that included a brief descent and a somewhat steep climb to the start. so, going down the hill, the guy goes to his toughest gear, leaving him in a bad gearing for the climb. when he gets to the climb he throws both of the levers (top tube shifters). all you hear is clunk clunk clunk and then see his chain get spat out onto the bottom bracket. poor guy probably had his family there watching, paid his 20 dollar entry fee and his 5 dollar uscf liscence and he didn't even make it to the start.

live and learn.
Please please let there be more of these guys in my next race.

I never see these guys. Just a bunch of "Cat 5s" who all have race team uniforms and look like they have been racing for about 10 years....