bigalerickson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Introducing Bigalerickson - The start of a clydesdale recovery

Hello to All!

Greetings,

This is my first thread that I am starting, I have been reading around a little bit, and am now ready to officially to introduce myself to all of you. I am a clydesdale to say the least, haven't ridden regularly since the the nineties, and am entering the Wildflower triathlon for the mountain bike event.

My History - fall of 2002 take a hit on the football field that retired me, summer 2003; back surgery. 14 day hospital stay. highlighted by waking up from the surgery without feeling in my arms or left leg. With the surgery a success, and rehab out of the way I take to the couch. I ate, drank, and watched tv until I was so bored I couldn't take it anymore. Also during this time I started a very successful business, got engaged and broke the engagement off. Needless to say, I lead a relatively interesting, somewhat dramatic life. Fast forward to December 2006. I announce, half drunk, that I am going to enter a triathlon in 2007. Mind you, I have not had been physically fit since 2002, and haven't exercised at all in two years. My best friend Ryan directs me to the wildflower website, and I promptly enter in my credit card info, and just like that I am a traithlete

Some statistics - 12-2006 - 6'2" 334 lbs. the worst shape of my life. Just so you all know how bad I really am in over my head. My only good news - I have always been an excellent swimmer, and I have very strong legs. I am down to 310 lbs now, and feeling much more athletic. I am beginning to believe I will actually finish the event.

Okay, now onto mountain biking. I have no better memories than those from mountain biking. I miss every bit of it, and I cannot wait to get back into good enough shape to be doing it on a regular basis again. I am now prepared to purchase a bike. Honestly, I was so out of shape that even shopping for a bike wasn't realistic.

I will begin a mileage log starting immediately. I think that will be a very cool thing to be a part of.

Cheers,

Alex
bigalerickson@gmail.com
Less than 50 days to Wildflower!