View Single Post
Old 03-20-07, 02:38 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbunk
I found this on the City of Mesa website. It is ARS 28-815.
their nature can have no application.
28-815. RIDING ON ROADWAY AND BICYCLE PATH; BICYCLE PATH USAGE
A. A person riding a bicycle on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under
the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway,
except under any of the following situations:
1. If overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
2. If preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
3. If reasonably necessary to avoid conditions, including fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles,
bicycles, pedestrians, animals or surface hazards.
4. If the lane in which the person is operating the bicycle is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel
safely side by side within the lane.

B. Persons riding bicycles on a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways
set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
C. A path or lane that is designated as a bicycle path or lane by state or local authorities is for the exclusive use of
bicycles even though other uses are permitted pursuant to subsection D or are otherwise permitted by state or
local authorities.
D. A person shall not operate, stop, park or leave standing a vehicle in a path or lane designated as a bicycle path
or lane by a state or local authority except in the case of emergency or for crossing the path or lane to gain
access to a public or private road or driveway.
E. Subsection D does not prohibit the use of the path or lane by the appropriate local authority.

So from this I would say it is legal in AZ to share a lane with a car.
I guess what I am questioning here is the Same road same rules argument that VC'ers like to say to solve every argument. I do not think that WOLs fulfill this definition.