Old 03-21-07, 07:52 AM
clearwaterms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new clydsdale looking to get into cycling, have a few questions

I am looking to get into cycling this year. I am new to the sport having not been on a cycle since I was 16 (10 years) The last bike that I had was a mountain bike, and given that I am an active sportbiker. However, as I do research online and also reading and searching around here I am thinking that a hybrid would be more what I am interested in. So here are my questions...

#1, How good is a hybrid on dirt trails. There are some single track dirt trails a few miles from my house.
#2, if I get a mountain bike and put slick like tires, how good will it be for the majority of my riding (mostly paved roads) alot of urban riding
#3, The local Bike shop only carries Specialized and gary fisher, and the selection of bikes in my size is VERY limited for test rides. They also charge full list for bicycles. In the city we have a much larger bicycle shop, they have a much larger selection, carrying gary fisher, specialized, and trek. They also have last years models and give discounts from MSRP on some other models. The local bike shop throws in two free tuneups on your bike, one after 30 days of riding, and a second at the start of your second year of ownership. The problem is that I might not be able to test ride a large variety of bikes from them. They were pushing the hardrock sport or a gary fisher rockhopper and a hybrid gary fisher as well.