senseamp
recovering stroke victim

Bikes: Flying Scot, Kona "Fire Mountain", Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Akugluk
My question, now, is how hard is it to find one in decent condition, and how much should I expect to pay for it? (the one I saw was $20 and a fixer-upper)
They are 30 years old, and generally not considered a "thing of beauty" to be preserved. So what's your definition of "decent"?

I bought mine in Texas for $125, after a wanted ad in the local Craigslist. But I was offered one for $150 and another for $250 (said to be pristine). I didn't want a perfect one since I knew I was going to replace so much of it.

Mine was rideable, with all it's original parts, but the brakes are poor by todays standard. At a minimum, I think you should be prepared to replace the rims with modern alloy BMX ones, and replace the tyres and brake pads. If you don't do this yourself but get it done at the LBS, I guess that's going to cost ~$100.

I don't think you should get a R20 if what you want is a compact folder - it's not. My thought process was:

1) I want a folder I can just put in the trunk of my car (and keep there) so I can take it to the park with no fuss, and have it available for a spontaineous ride.

2) I'm now almost 300lbs after a years poor mobility brought on by a stroke (I was quite fit at 240lbs). There is NO modern folder which is rated for my weight so I could spend >$500 on something that might collapse and have no warranty.

3) I don't know what the weight limit is on a R20, but it's heavy steel and has a strong, unique joint.

4) If I spend $500 on parts for the R20 and it collapses, I still have $500 worth of parts than can be transfered to another R20 or sold on.

5) I'm still having fun solving the upgrade problems and part selection :-)

6) My wife now refers to me as "Bicycle Repair Man" !

Currently trying to solve the cotterless BB problem, and fit my 20" suspension forks.