View Single Post
Old 02-25-04, 11:36 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
My experience of Portland is a little out of date, I lived in Portland then Vancouver from 1980-1990 & knew the East side pretty well. The demographics were interesting: East from the Willamette River to 39th the Population is younger with lots of singles. From 39th out to the East there were many more family type neighborhoods...not sure why such a transition takes place at 39th. Portland is not a big city but it has several very distinct neighborhoods & districts. I always liked the Hawthorne & Mount Tabor neighborhoods when I worked at the Seminary (55th & Hawthorne). You will enjoy exploring Portland. We lived on 70th between Glisan & Burnside and My oldest son lived near Reed College. Both were very friendly neighborhoods. Bear in mind there is a geographic feature East of Portland (The Columbia Gorge) which causes an increasing wind as you go East from downtown. Residents on the West side of town & those close to downtown don't notice it much but it was a real negative in the Winter & I never got used to it while we lived in Portland.