View Single Post
Old 01-11-02, 09:44 PM
spininin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have to jump sidewalks/curbs down here in Alabama because we have a unique breed of drivers...sort of a combination yuppie/redneck. You know...talking on cell phones, but pausing long enough to stick their heard out the window and yell yeeehaahh as they clip your left elbow. We also have ladies who can talk on the phone, apply make-up, smoke a cigarette and pick their nose and drive (?) at the same time. We do have those occasional letters-to-the-editor-wars about what rights bikes have on the road and, sure enough, bikes do have the same rights as cars. But, as a lone rider at night on a road full of hundreds of cars, it gets down to common sense rather than laws. I very often yield to cars even when I could force my right of way over them. I wanna get home to my lovely wife and kids.

But I do know that through my riding I am helping the cause. I started commuting because of another bike commuter and I know four people who are planning to start because they know me. But it also helps in that the more bikers there are, the more drivers there will be who personally know bikers, and who might change their attitude about bikers being on road. I could go on but you get the point.