Old 03-26-07, 08:11 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Either of the Treks will do you well, but I'd consider upgrading the wheels to a higher spoke count wheelset.

I'd also recommend....very strongly, a set of padded cycling shorts. If you feel self conscious about Lycra, you can always wear a pair of baggy shorts over them (ps: You wear the bike shorts "Commando", so ya know. underwear interferes with wicking and the seams cause raw spots in areas you don't want raw spots!).

Cycling clothes for Clydes: http://www.aerotechdesigns.com . If you are unsure about sizing, their customer service is GREAT!
Originally Posted by Alowisney
Let me start out by saying that I'm glad there is a forum for those of us with a bit of extra padding. I'm 5"11 and 340 pounds. I'm looking at riding as a way to lose weight and just get out into the world more. I'll mostly be riding on pavement but I'll be riding on dirt roads from time to time also. I used to ride a whole lot as a kid and teenager but getting a car ruined it.

I'm going shopping at my local bike shop this weekend and I've been "window shopping" in preparation. I've decided on two definite maybes. I'm looking at a Trek 820 and a Trek 7000 as possibilities. My local shop carries Trek, Cannondale, Haro, and Specialized as their main vendors. I'm trying to stay in the under $300 range if at all possible. Please tell me if I'm crazy or if you think one of those bikes would suite my needs or if I should keep an eye out for certain other models from those other vendors. I'm also open to used so anything you think might fit into that price is a welcome suggestion.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant