Old 03-28-07, 06:29 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdenver
Nice article. I hope people don't get the notion that simple living is some sort of arduous sacrifice requiring you to live like a miser. I preach "selective spending". I enjoy collecting experiences (like Hal in the article), rather than "stuff" and material pocessions. His message of sharing yet being practical is perfect.

Here's his company. He's spot on with his travel philosophy too. Most people only travel once every few years and spend thousands on hotels and packages for a "once in a lifetime trip". By just renting a room in a hostel or guest house you can stretch your money much longer, travel more frequently, and have a more intimate experience of getting to know the locals in your neigbhorhood, and becoming a "temporary local"
+1
I am by no means rich, but I do live well below my means. It is also going to mean an early retirement to do the things that I want to do with my life. We almost bought a house in a nice golf course community, then realized how stupid it would be for us...money saved to spend somewhere else. I have friends that all they do on weekends is agonize over their lawns...not mine...that is what goats are for

Another person that was worth mega bucks and lived very simply was one of the founders of Hewlett-Packard. Worth millions but never moved from the small farm he lived on.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon