View Single Post
Old 03-29-07, 02:56 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to experiment with this on different bars, including drop bars.

I'm just not completely satisfied with any existing bars. Plus, I like to experiment with and modify things. And I'm hoping I can come up with something that works better for me.

One idea is to have a floating-steering-wheel-like arrangement -- not a steering wheel, but bars that have the ability to be moved on the fly, in the way a floating steering wheel can be moved. I've had cars with this feature, and it is a good one. On long rides, it really helps to be able to achieve different positions.

Something similar could be done with the grips -- each grip could attach to the bar at a ball and socket joint that would allow for a variety of positions and adjustments. And the joints could be secured (tightened) or loosened easily and on the fly (like most floating steering wheels, and certain higher-end tripods).

Back to the bending: that is a somewhat different avenue, though the two can be combined.

If flat bars aren't putting one's wrists in the right position or angle, and it is possible to bend the bar so that the angle is right, why not try it? One could go ahead and purchase some other bars, if bars with just the right angles could be found -- but why not modify existing bars (if it is possible and safe, and not too difficult a job...)? Or make one's own bars?

(Also, there is something about creating or modifying things for oneself that gives a new sort of fit and relation....)