Old 03-29-07, 07:44 PM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is your quote from post #1231:
Yeah it is, but lets not get confused over a fall that is a pain and requires stiches and traumatic brain injury. There's a world of difference between the two and it's often misunderstood that a bicycle helmet significantly reduces traumatic brain injury. It does not.
Two posts later, you quote Wikipedia as saying that helmets contribute to traumatic brain injury. That is what this whole discussion is about. You are right, in that you did not quote the part about the helmet causing more damage; it was in the section you cited though, and upon reading it, I quoted it and discussed that. I am a be a bit jet-lagged, so I hope you'll pardon me for that. But it is central to this argument about helmets that the Wikipedia post states, and so I associated it with you. Do you feel that helmets can cause this rotational injury? If so, then how do you take into account a bicycle mishap where a fellow drags his head against the pavement, which according to the Wikipedia quote, should contribute to traumatic brain injury, and come up without any traumatic brain injury? This issue is not that you said that this particular injury would cause traumatic brain injury; it's that this particular mishap should have resulted in a traumatic brain injury according to the understanding that you are trying to espouse, and it did not. That is the disparity between your theory and what has actually happened. Again, how do you account for it?

Finally, do I have to go into that film clip and post pictures of it here for you to see the impacts, or can you do a bit of analysis frame-by-frame and see what actually happened, using the pause control that they have on the video.

John