Old 03-29-07, 09:34 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
In marginal situations, the Park site recommends Loctite #RC609. I don't know if you saw the discussion about a headset problem in the C and V forum recently where an Italian frame was being built up and it was found that the headset that was being used was a JIS headset, which meant the crown race was too large (ID) for the fork and the cups were too small for the headtube (ID), the cups could be pressed in by hand. In that case the consensus was to use an ISO headset. In your situations, if you're confident you're using headsets of the correct standard (ISO, JIS, etc) then you could try the Loctite and see if it holds the parts securely. There can be variation from one "ISO headtube" and another, for example, a range of a couple tenths of a millimeter that's acceptable. It may be that you're experiencing a sort of "worst case scenario" within the various ranges-
I'll try to get ahold of that loctite. I'm pretty sure the variability here is in the headset cup from one headset and the crown race from another; all of the other pieces for all of the other headsets I've got sitting around in the same standard (J.I.S.) all seem as if they fit properly.