View Single Post
Old 03-30-07, 09:23 AM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone else see it the way Closetbiker sees it? If so, I'll draw some arrows about the head against the rail.

The eighth picture shows Kessler's feet very high over the guard rail, and his head out-of-sight, toward the ground--sure looks like head-first to me. And by the way, the rocks on in the front left part of the helmet's vents, and he was on his stomach when he was "rolling around." Actually, he was not rolling arond after that impact, but laying motionless on the ground on his stomach, head up in the grass beyond the gravel--look at the video.

I have had similar crashes to yours, and it wasn't until I was over 50 that I had my helmet actually hit the ground. But when I was in grade school, I wiped out on lunch break going home from school, and hit my head in the gravel on the right side (time before helmets were available--wasn't wearing one). That was my first migraine headache later that afternoon, when the head injury made me sick and I had to go home early. The whole right side of my face was marked up, and I remember simply laying my head in my hands at class that afternoon before being sent home. If I had been wearing a helmet (couldn't--they simply were not available in the early 1950s), it might have kept me from periodic migraine headaches.

The technique of tucking one's head not only prevents neck injuries, but also minimizes the possibility of hitting one's head against the ground. It is a technique I learned in judo and gymnastics classes. Rolling is a great technique for minimizing injury potential in a fall.

John

Last edited by John C. Ratliff; 03-30-07 at 09:55 AM.