BASE892

Bikes: none yet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice on Downhill/Freeride bikes

Hey guys,

I have recently quit BASE jumping (due to family cicumstances) and I was looking for a new 'just as exciting', but slightly less potentially lethal hobby. Downhill mountainbiking seems one of those things and since I live in Switzerland I have also got the perfect surrounding to do so.

I have been scouting out the different websites, visited the local bike store and read the FAQ post on this forum and now I'm more than overwhelmed. I could never imagine that there are so many brands out there, unreal. I think I know what I'm looking for, but would like to ask you guys if that what I came up with makes any sense at all. I'm looking for a freeride bike, but not the hardest of hardcore ones (the ones that 'pedal like a wet noodle'). I also don't look for the a 'trail' or 'all mountain' bike, as I have been told that those can come expensive when riden hard on rough terrain.

The following bikes caught my eye and I would like to know if any of them is something for a newbie and why you would specifically recommend any one of them:

- TREK Session7 or 10
- KONA Stinky Deluxe
- Cannondale Judge 1
- YETI 303 DH or AS-X
- Iron Horse Sunday Elite
- BMC Superstroke

In case it helps: I'm 1.78m or 6"2 and I weigh 81 kg or 178 lbs

Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Joris.

edited to add