View Single Post
Old 04-02-07, 02:32 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This is really classic and vintage fodder, but I thought some of you here might enjoy seeing a project I'm working on. It's to be a lightweight version of the classic Raleigh sports. I started with a nice old Dawes Galaxy 531 frame, with gorgeous half chrome stays and forks, and a chrome fork crown. A 40 year old Brooks, a set of lightweight Bluemels mudguards (with a chrome effect strip down the middle for more blingage), a Sturmey Archer AG (3 speed, with a generator rear hub) wheelset, bars, and shifter from a 3 speed I got from the tip for £5, a Pletscher rack I had laying about, and I'm nearly there. The rear wheel needs a spoke replacement, I've got a stuck cotter in the old cranks (going to fit cotterless), I have to transfer the chainguard from the other bike, and I need a rear light to go with the fabulous front one, but it's looking good already. There's no need to ask for new 3 speeds, when so many are already out there!