Old 03-05-04, 02:28 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisA
Do I have this right... you have LX V's that do not have the cartridge style pads and are thinking of getting XT V's to get the cartridge style pads? If that is the case just get a set of cartridges and bolt them to your LX brakes. I did the same with my Deore and Acera V brakes with no problem. I'm using yellow cool stop pads in them with a Sun CR18 rim and they work great in wet/muddy/gritty conditions.
Cartridge pads are great for an easy quick change for when they wear, but the the cartridge pad system can cause problems on heavy braking for Clydesdale's. I'm no Clydesdale, but two up on the tandem is, and we find that we can shred and rip out a cartridge block, very easily, and for no reason, other than they are not man enough. I changed away from shimano blocks for one reason, and that is that they squeal, but they do work, do not have excessive wear,(Except in exceptional conditions like lots of Mud, or grit), and are obtainable every where.

Getting back to the Rim Situation, as originally posted. It will probably be cheaper to get a complete new wheel, from a reputable builder, that to have a hub re-rimmed. On the rim front, ceramic rims do last a lot longer, providing the correct block is used, and are not damaged by incidents like dinging the rim. The extra expense is worth it, but only if you can look after them. I changed the rhino-lites on the tandem after 400 miles, due to them wearing out too quickly,They are now a good spare set of wheels, and went to Mavic rims. I went to D532's due to weight of the tandem, but if you are thinking of ceramic rims, you will find the choice limited.