View Single Post
Old 04-03-07, 11:02 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I have to respectifully disagree. Our soft parts-the parts between our anus and genitals didn't evolve to be weight bearing. The nerves/arteries/ veins(which almost always run together-everywhere) just can't take the constant pressure.
I had to tilt the nose waaay down, and use a much taller stem and old fashioned bars to keep riding.I had a dual problem-neck and soft parts.
I agree that just tilting the nose waaaay down will put more weight on your arms/hands, and it will feel "odd" at 1st.
Traditional "racing/touring" type saddles-even the Brooks ones-have you balanced on the 3"x6" area from your butt to the buried part of your penis(or the female comparable anatomy). Yes, increasing the surface area will decrease the pressure on any given area.Yes, a nice elastic leather saddle that eventually "breaks in" to your anatomy, can drop the pressure. Still, if you have numbness in that area, you have to ask yourself," do I really want to put that area at risk". If you tilt the nose waaay down, you take all the force off the soft parts. You can also modify a saddle, or buy one of those 2 piece ones like my wife uses.
Wishyou was me-I would try a sliightly firm gel saddle.It is true that the soft gel saddles are a bit too soft-you sink in too far and end up putting too much pressure in one place.
I had to set all my bikes up like this. This one actually has a more gentle cant than my others.
Folks who ride because they have to rarely use flat bars, and never use drop bars.They use the same bars that all our 1950's Schwinns had-bolt upright.The bolt upright posture naturally takes weight off the soft parts.1 billion Chinese can't be wrong. The drop bars are just because we have been sold a racing look-it just isn't practical for most of us.The flat bars are an improvement, but still not so comfortable for older bodies.
Luck,
Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P4030140.JPG (72.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg
P4030139.JPG (72.9 KB, 21 views)