View Single Post
Old 04-03-07, 03:28 PM
jeffremer

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't take a week off the bike. You'll feel terrible. If you are only going 15 or 20 miles you are not at the point where you need to be off the bike for an extended period. You should be going hard for about 2/3 of your rides and taking the other 1/3 easier. So think about doing a 30 mile ride one day, 10 the next, then another 30 mile ride. And then maybe take one or two days off the bike a week. Two is pushing it before I get really ansty and need to go for a spin, so I'm usually on the bike six or seven days a week.

What is helpful is every four or five weeks doing an easy week where you do everything the same except cut the mileage, time, or intensity in half. During that week go get a massage (sports specific), take it easy, then come back harder the next week. You'll feel great and be able to go harder without burning out.

In general I try to put a recovery ride in between high-intensity rides, but sometimes having back to back (no more than two in a row) long or hard rides can be beneficial by pushing you past your comfort zone and getting your base up.

Last edited by jeffremer; 04-03-07 at 03:35 PM.