View Single Post
Old 03-06-04, 07:43 PM
howling.fantods

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26" folding bikes

I've been thinking about picking up a folding bike, because of the San Francisco BART's stupid rule that you can bring your bike on any train on any time of the day except during rush hour. BUT, you can bring a folding bike onto the train with you.

They probably mean those little 16' wheel things, like bromptons or bike fridays or whatever. Personally, I don't really want to mess with those, I want to comply with the stupid BART rule without having to make any concessions on ride quality. I couldn't care less how small the bike folds up, so long as when the bart staff tries to prevent me from bringing my bike on the train, i can tell them with a straight face that it's a folding bike, therefore allowed.

I've seen a couple of people riding the trains with 26" folders, which piqued my interest. From doing a little googling, the Dahon Matrix or Montague Paratrooper look like good commuter options for me -- basic mtn bike / city bike type set ups. I haven't found much in the way of user reviews, though.

Anyone got any experience with these? Or know of any other brands I should look at?