Old 04-04-07, 07:08 PM
super prestige
Newerbie

Bikes: Ciocc, Casati, Caylor, Legnano, Paletti, De Rosa, Bianchi, Colnago, Olmo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi Columbus formula tubing -final word?

I read with interest the recent questions about Mid-80's Bianchi frames made in Italy with Columbus Formula Two tubing. I also have a mid 80's Bianchi frame, made in Italy, but mine is Formula One tubing -see picture. Also of note, my forks are chrome with the pantographed bird up top and Bianchi drop outs, Gipiemme drop outs out back and a partially chrome rear triangle below the chain. Bike has a 'Vittoria' sticker on the top tube, not sure if it came in a box of tires or is a model designation, but the only reference I can find to a 'Vittoria' in conjunction with Bianchi is in the 1987 Japanese catalog, the second highest priced bike -unfortunately the text is in Japanese...

The questions:

What is the deal with Columbus Formula tubing in general, is it as suggested, a prorietary blend of different Columbus tubings specially grouped for Bianchi to save cost?

What is the difference between Formula One and Formula two, are they different tubing formulas offered concurrently, or is Formula Two the new and improved (or cheapened even further) Formula One?

Thanks for putting up with another post on this topic!

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tubing sticker.jpg (32.4 KB, 319 views)