gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maunakea
Re: chain ring. I forgot to add that I use an old, now chain-stained and chain-ring perforated, cheap (not brand name) closed cell foam sleeping pad that wraps each fold of the folded Maunakea bike like cake wrapping jelly in a jellyroll. I have a duct-tape "hemmed" cut-out in the pad for the steerer tube. The steerer tube end gets a hacked PET bottle. The pad provides a buffer between each fold of the bike and around the entire bike. Without the pad, the chainring would perforate the bag and the ramp gorillas would do even more damage. The sleeping pad rolls up for transport ... and yes, I have slept on the pad, with it wrapped in a leaf bag.

When the OE DT bag disintegrates, I will switch to a NB bike bag. The NB bag is an amazingly good value when on promo for <$30. I keep a bike in the Japan Alps outdoors in a "waterproofed" NB bike bag. Putting a pregnant bag in mega-size leaf and landscaping bags and duct taping the L and R leaf bag junction makes the NB bag waterproof. The digression leads me to my suggestion of always including a couple of leaf bags in your bike bag in case you and/or the bagged bike need to stay out of the rain with no shelter nearby.

Re: airport storage. In-terminal storage service is a thing of the past in the US. It is still common outside the US, esp. Asia.
Of course -- didn't think about in-airport storage being phased out, but I suppose it was inevitable . Thanks for the tip on the NB bag. I'll check that out for sure.

Edit: Can't seem to find the NB bag online -- could you please provide a link?

Last edited by gbcb; 04-13-07 at 04:04 AM.