Old 04-13-07, 05:19 AM
goaliedb

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLT01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from the Buckeye state

After a 7 year layoff, I'm back on the bike. And I now realize how much I missed it.

I'm kind of in the same state of mind now (as I approach the big 5-0 in August) as I was twenty years ago when I was pushing 3-0. The age thing, and then there was the weight, though I'm not as overweight now as then.

I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease. At that point, I knew I needed to get my life and health back in order.

I started riding back in 1987. I took that old Panasonic clunker out and became hooked, and lost a lot of weight. I went from 250 to 170 in one year’s time. I became very active in racing in New Mexico and Texas. A former Cat 3, with no great results to show. But I had a blast.

I relocated to Ohio in 2000. By that time I was somewhat burnt out on cycling. I think it was more of the change in climate, new job and its pressures. In the winter of 2001, I started ice skating which lead to hockey.

I played as goalie in the adult rec league until last month. It wasn’t fun anymore. I was playing with people taking it way too seriously. The late night games were getting tougher and tougher. And at my age, playing goalie, the reflexes were slowing and it was getting to the point of my body was in constant aches and pains. Another problem- hockey and beer go so well together! After the diagnosis The diagnosis of Crohns, I knew I had to make a lifestyle change.

The goalie gear is sold, the last being shipped out yesterday. I've been riding for three weeks, eating better, and feeling much better. I've lost ten pounds, I can go up and down the stairs with no pain! No beer in a month. And I'm not bothered by the fact that I will be 50.

I will get back into racing. I did renew my license as a Cat 4, and will be riding with the Buckeye Cycling Club. I'm far from being race ready, but I'm motivated and I've been pleased with the progress I've made. Seems to be easier now than it was twenty years ago!

The question now... will spring ever get here. I'm getting tired of riding in the basement And there's talk of more snow this weekend.