Old 04-13-07, 12:22 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Lover
So, I remember reading on these very same forums about how carbon fiber will melt or spontaneously combust if left out in the sun for too long. Now I'm worried as my PF is in the back of the car and, as I was walking away from it, I noticed the sun was beating down on the rear triangle. Should I go move my car? Open the windows perhaps?

What is the mechanism I need to protect from? Is it the UV light (A or B) or the heat?

I should mention that it is somewhat cool out, about 34 deg., but it's expected to be about 43 deg. later!

Of course, my frame is the most susceptible to this as it was made in China! Someone please tell me what to do!

Signed fretting in Detroit.
I once saw CF spontaneously turn into ball lightning.

UV light degrades several polymers, and the ones that your bike matrix is made out of could be one of them. I don't know how much UV light your glass blocks (if memory serves, it should be most of it), but if you're worried, throw a towel over it.

Chances are that your bike polymers were cured at a temperature well over 100F. If it was summer, I might suggest you crack a window, but I wouldn't worry about it AT ALL today.

Except for the car thieves who will throw your bike in a dumpster.