cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffinMA
Just picked up a Blackburn Fluid Trainer yesterday (60% off... couldn't resist).

I've tried rollers in the past but they were not for me, but I thought a trainer would be a nice option on days when the weather wasn't cooperating. After trying it out for an hour or so, I'm having my reservations. I'm mainly worried that I'll do some damage to the frame by mounting the back wheel (the mounting cups don't exactly sit perfectly around the QR skewers and it's tough to tell how tight to crank things down). In addition, I'm worried that rocking back and forth while peddling will only increase the fatigue on the frame. I'm sure it's all in my head... the stress on the frame should be no different on the road than in the trainer, but you never know.

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with trainers or tips? I'm 350/6'1"
You'll get past the worries about the trainer. I had some reservations about bolting my bike to one (I have the Kurt Kinetic), and after a few months everything was fine so I quit worrying Just make sure you follow the instructions for mounting your bike and ask questions of your LBS if you have any.

What worked for my wife and I was to pick up a few Spinervals videos. They pretty much eliminated the boredom factor. There are a couple of great ones for Clydes also - actually, any of the "Fitness" series is good for starters.

Take care,

Steve